Sunday, December 30, 2007

Shouldn't I have a baby to be a mother?

Growing up as the first daughter in my family, i never understood what my parents meant by i was a mother figure in the house until a year ago.
in a family of 5 children, i am the first girl, but 2nd born. I have an older brother and a baby brother and we girls happen to be in the middle of the two most handsome, caring and respectful young men around.
All along i was said to be my dad's favorite hence a whole lot of clashes with my siblings and even my mum. trust me its worse than what eva love you getting from a dad. Some tymes i pray he loves me less and maybe, just maybe i can be like the rest or really they would see me like one of them. Last year Christmas break was the worse. It got so bad i got my things packed and was really ready to leave the house. (where was i going?
after talking to my Fav youth pastor and friend, he made me realise things, and see things differently i guess more like from my siblings point of view. either way, i was still going to have to compromise, calm down and take punches with out complaining. This was hard i would not lie, but i was also willing to give it try. I was willing to see if this would work. I was praying it would.
Every year, on the 27th of December(parents wedding anniversary) , we all come together and talk about each other over the year, good, the bad and the ugly.(trust me it gets ugly sometimes ) So that year was not any different. I was the central of attention (thats what i thot) things my siblings where saying weren't things i wished for, not like it was soo bad, but i thot i was the most understanding, easy to get along with person around, but they said otherwise. I listened and tried so hard to hold back that drop of tear in my eye. Finally they all spoke and my dad being the one that ends the whole talk, went ahead to say well you all have heard what everyone said, Paradigm, you are the first daughter, you are to be like their mother but you not. You aren't acting like one. You get angry with them blah blah. Gosh i felt bad, i felt bad not because of what he or they said, but because i kinda disagree. I felt i was understanding, i felt i gave them a chance, i felt i was caring about their feelings. BUT to my understanding, i was the only one feeling this way.
With this, i really prayed and tried to work on my self. I tried to be 80% more approachable. I tried not to let things they do get me mad, i tried to talk more, wanna know more, and tried to fix their problems between one another other than playing safe being on my own.
It was not easy, but i found out i was enjoying this after it was working . I found out i was actually having a relationship with everyone, i found out i was fixing relationships with one another. "was i beginning to act like the mother i was to be? "i was dying to know i was hoping i was doing what was right. I was hoping it was because i was enjoying it. this had to be right, it felt good.
I guess i would find out on the 27th of this year i thot.
Finally it came. was i ready?No, why? i was scared of the unknown.
My mum started off this year, she went on about everyone, i most say it started out nice unlike last year. we all had something positive i was happy i was excited, even me!!!!. then it was my baby's turn(my lil brother he wud kill me he is 17 now gosh they grown fast ) , gosh have we grown so much together, have we shared a lot of secrets and passions. i found out we where so similar in the scenes that he needs to be pushed to talk. I didn't mind that because i know that's who i am but no one else saw that . It was also nice making them understand each other. through last year to now, it seemed that we all put an extra 99% effort. it felt great , it looked amazing seeing no one chopped with negative criticism. it was amazing.
Now i guess i know what they have been talking about.....

6 comments:

desperate lady said...

Just saw the title, this is gonna be funny. let me go read.

desperate lady said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww u have such a wonderful family and i really feel u on this one.
If my family came together to talk about eachtother, i would have committed murder by now.
It's really good that they're honest with you and at least they tell you than keeping it inside. Your a very lucky person.
You should thank God everyday for giving you such an awesome family.
I was with my younger sister alone for christmas and i couldnt stop wishing i was cool with my mom so the family would be together.
This post really touched me and now i realise how much i miss my family.

Miz Arkitect said...

awww thanks hon ..1st:HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!thanks for the comment. i sure am thankful @ where we are coz trust me, b4 we started that, we where all so distant from each other and this 4 sure brought us all together.
Stop wishing babe's its a new year, work on it... its never too late. I never used to have a close relationship with my mum but after effort from her and my self, i cant do with out talking to her about almost everything now. so if i can do it, so can u!!!

Skinny Hipster... said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....sometimes life is about acceptance. We must accept our short comings before trying to fix them.... or improve on them...

rethots said...

...the burdens (but, is it really?) of been a 'first' born.
...and He whispered; "I have added to your joy this new year."
Happy New Year

Miz Arkitect said...

@ first you see it as a burden and i guess later its more of a blessing when you see how much you can help !! happy new year to u too !!